Many VPN companies claim 'Total Privacy' with '100% security' which is completely false
VPNs can only hide your internet interaction from your local ISP. A VPN does not make you anonymous, and does not give you any additional security.
Kitboga, a youtuber, makes a good video on this, as he mentions all the various reasons why a VPN isn’t always the best idea.
This does not mean a VPN is completely useless though, it has its place, and it can improve privacy when it is used correctly. The problem is that 90% of VPN users don’t know how to use a VPN in a manner that would benefit them.
- Stops your local ISP seeing your internet activities
- Good for accessing GEO blocked website content
- Makes ad tracking a little more difficult
- Does not fix your online privacy
- Does not give you security
- Does not stop viruses
- Does not stop hacks
- Does not stop browser history
- Does not stop online tracking
- You will lose your anonymity if you connect to any social websites
- Most VPN will slow down your connection
- VPN companies can easily gather data
- VPN companies have cooperated with the government